Friday, July 3, 2015

Thomas Schrade and the City of Dreams

Originally titled 'Rain', this was my Nanowrimo project in 2009 ... or perhaps 2008.  It's been awhile.  It was written in response to a challenge by Narrator Number Two; write a book in a different genre with no connection to the Elsewhere Universe.  I decided to make it a horror title, though I feel it became more of a thriller.

The story was heavily inspired by the somewhat lackluster horror game, Silent Hill: Homecoming.  The main twist of the book is something I came up with while playing, thinking that it was the twist of that game.  Sadly, my twist was far better than the one in the game, though not nearly as disappointing as Konami killing Silent Hills.  Seriously, what the hell?  You finally make a demo that is legitimately scary, hinting at a game that would actually make me want to buy a PS4, and you cancel it in favor of another Metal Gear Solid game?  Ugh.  

Sorry; I got a little off-track there.  Anyway, the basic idea is that the city of Dreams is slowly flooding, and the hero, a detective originally from Dreams, is having to continue toward the center of the city, avoiding the strange creatures prowling the streets while searching for a missing girl. I created the monsters around a theme I can't think of a way to explain without giving away spoilers.  This story does exist in the Elsewhere Universe as a comic book series.

I don't have much to say about this one; it was finished and in need of editing, but it was complete. You'll notice I used the past-tense; unfortunately, I accidentally deleted this story a few weeks back, thinking it was in a different folder. yep, 50,000 words all gone because I didn't organize well.  I do want to go back and write this again, however, and it could conceivably turn into a series of one-off stories centered around the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment