Thursday, July 2, 2015

Simply Encredible (and no, for the last time, that IS spelled correctly).

Simply Encredible (named for its heroine, Excelsia Encredible), is a look at Vinta's past. Set in the Ronisgald equivalent of the Middle Ages, at a time when the Galden cities were above ground, technology was treated with just as much horror as magic, and the Light sect of the Celestial Church had its grip on Ronisgald, outing all others as heretics, this story is about a little girl torn from the only family she has left. Adopted by a Rimstakken Tinker and taught the ways of technology, she eventually returns to Ronisgald after learning that some of her old friends may have survived.

While I would argue that Teria and Terra are strong characters, Excelsia is the first to truly take the lead role in a story. In a way, it's the opposite of the Sakamota Journals; whereas that book is about a hero using a sword in a time of technology, Simply Encredible is about a gadgeteer who fights with technology in an age it's (as mentioned before) often confused as magic.

This project has unfortunately been on the back burner for awhile, but I hope to continue it one day, as it is part of the Elsewhere Universe. It also sees Narrator Number One in one of his more legendary roles; Sir Unas of the Silver and Jade.  No joke, I ended up writing a ballad about him (mostly because I was playing Skyrim heavily at the time. Strange how catchy the bard songs were in that game). Perhaps it will be included as an extra in the final version when this is done.

I do feel I should explain just why this has sat in my folders for so long, however, but to explain it requires a little insight into how I write. There really is very little preperation; I sit down, remind myself where I was, and off I go. If an idea doesn't work, my ideas dry up and I end up staring at a blank page, unable to continue. In such cases, I typically delete the chapter last worked on and try again.  I fancy that I peer into another universe more than I actually create, and believe that the story dries up when I got something wrong.  After all, I don't have a perspective clock like my author surrogate. 

It was while writing about five chapters in when Excelsia entered a situation I won't go into (spoilers).  It wasn't explicit, but it put her in an odd situation where she had to consider the nature of her affections for an old friend, and when she did, she realized there was something more there.  The issue, as I feel calling it a problem is incorrect and a bit offensive, is that she realizes she is homosexual, or at least bisexual. After the awkward pause, I will say that I slowed down on this project, not because I am ashamed of her or her sexual orientation, nor because I feel there is anything inherently wrong with alternative sexualities. I myself am demisexual, and another Dreamer who asks to remain nameless is homosexual ... and getting married now that the United States has momentarily remembered what century it is.

No, I put the project on hold because I want to treat this development with the respect it deserves. I'm researching the nature of homosexuality, namely how people come to realize their nature, how they felt about it and continue to feel about it, how it affected them and the people around them.   The story is about Excelsia fighting zealots and demons with technology and style, but I'm worried about unintentionally writing something in this case that will be viewed as insensitive, not from a religious standpoint (I'm a Dreamer, so figure that one out), but from the perspective of homosexual or bisexual people. 

I realize that just talking about this makes many people clench up, and I really wish it didn't, as it's just a part of her character ... and for the record, it's not like I'm throwing in explicit scenes here.  You (potentially) have read four of my books, each with its share of romance, and you know by now that I don't write that kinda thing, for the simple reason that I feel my characters deserve some privacy, especially after everything I throw at them ... especially Jimmy.  Sorry, Jimmy.  If it makes you feel better, I think Finn Cresste of Mass Effect Slipstream is getting it worse than you right now.

It's gonna be a good story when it's done; rooftop chases, battles with demons and constructs, and Excelsia kicking serious butt as she's helping her old friend.  There will be betrayal (which I apparently had to spell three times to get it right), crime syndicates, romance (and if this surprises you, did you read the rest of this post?), and even a little Elsewhere here and there. All in all, it will be a fine tale that will stand next to my others, and Excelsia will stand as one of the legends of the Elsewhere Universe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment