Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Sunset Accord



Early on in the Elsewhere Universe books, I realized that sooner or later, I’d have to address the nature of Angels and Demons … or more bluntly, God and the Devil.  At the time, I wrote briefly about something called ‘The Sunset Accord’, and implied it was some sort of non-interference pact between the Elsewhere, the angels, and the devils. I didn’t want to only include judeo-christianity in this, so for the sake of argument, I referred to the angelic side as The Celestial Host, and the devil side ‘The Dark Horde’, implying that Gods and Goddesses viewed as ‘Good’ are part of the Host, those viewed as ‘Evil’ are part of the Horde.

The Sunset Accord, which sounds to me at least like some kind of new model Honda sports car, is actually one of the few laws the Dreamers place on themselves, and as such is an interesting notion to consider.  Breaking the law on purpose has resulted in the expulsion of the offending Dreamer, making it the most severe rule the Elsewhere has by far. After a time, however, I realized for such a rule to be in place, there must’ve been some event that prompted it; some incident where the Elsewhere was involved in the affairs of the Host and the Horde that ultimately led to the Sunset Accord.

This story is set early in the Elsewhere history. Anything as old as the battle of Good Vs. Evil could hardly be expected to notice every little group that came around.  Sooner or later, however, the deeds of the Elsewhere would start to have repercussions felt by both sides.  Since they were locked in a battle, neither able to defeat the other, some of the more militant parts of either side viewed the Elsewhere as the key to victory, and decided to take it upon themselves to secure the Elsewhere’s support.

Taking place in both the Celestial Plane and the Dark Abyss, this tale features my namesake, Alan T. Tryth, and Teach; the former in the Abyss and the latter taking the Celestials.  The ‘Heaven’ and ‘Hell’ of the Elsewhere Universe will be explored in detail in these books, as well as the nature of God and Lucifer and their relation to the Creator.

This is a story I write with some trepidation, as religions groups are often a bit scary.  As Wong once told me, “God’s fine; it’s his fan club that bothers me”. Given some rather liberal interpretations of God, Lucifer, and the afterlife, I am concerned this might be somewhat controversial.  As such, let me say right now that this is set in the Elsewhere Universe, and is likely unique to that universe; do not misconstrue what I write as some belief to the nature of such things in this universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment