Friday, July 31, 2015

The Cut Conversations

Not everything I write makes it into the book.  This isn't uncommon among writers, as sometimes, content needs to be cut for a wide variety of reasons; doesn't contribute to the story, doesn't fit the perspective, conversation's redundant. I keep most of this content to the side, not so much for possible reentry or reuse, but simply for my own reference.  It may not be in the book, but in my mind, it still happens.

Of late, however, I've found myself going back and writing conversations and situations that occur between the lines, conversations I never wrote the first time, yet seem important. To be frank, I'm not sure what to do with these; perhaps I'll save them and release them all as a supplement to the books.

I have to say, though, it's kinda fun. Sometimes, I don't get to have two characters interact much in a story, and this gives me a chance to work out what they think of each other. It's why One and Jeronem are friends, it's why Ben is more comfortable talking with Suzy than anyone else, it's why Teria is as accepting of Mikaen as Tirinia's bond-mate when her first instinct is to  claw the guys eyes out for being with her sister. Why didn't they make the cut?  Because I try to keep perspective limited to a few characters, namely One and Mikaen (with the occasional passage from me in there). Teria's added into the mix later, as she becomes a larger character (and to be fair, Tirinia will likely get a few later on as well, as those four characters are the main characters of the series).

I might post some of these interludes here later, but for the moment, there's just no place for them in the books proper. Perhaps one day, when the Elsewhere Universe is better known, I'll put together a special edition.  As for now, however, I'll continue writing between the gaps and hold on to my notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment