Monday, June 29, 2015

The Sakamota Journals: Sidetracked

The Sakamota Journals kinda reads like a tourists guide to Wenapaj, now that I think about it.  Anyway, this book picks up shortly after the first, and sees Jimmy back at the Saybaro.  More of the mansion has been restored, and he is awaiting the arrival of some of his friends (particularly Terra) when Plush One sends him on a quest to Brigsonstrat, a city to the north of the Saybaro that provides much of Wenapaj's power. 

From the get go, I wanted to put Jimmy back in the position of being alone, not because I dislike his friends in the first novel, but because it's easier to mess with him when he's by himself.  I'm not even kidding; I've mentioned to others that if I ever meet Jimmy, he'll either hug me or punch me in the face ... maybe even both. So much of the series was created by the thought process; Jimmy seems to be doing okay ... let's throw some new insanity at him. 

The Sakamota Journals: Sidetracked (originally Sidequest) is just that; in trying to finish one task, he continually finds himself interrupted.  I remember Breath of Fire II being a clear inspiration here; while playing it as a child, I remember a series of quests that branched off so many times, I finished one part and realized I had completely forgot what I was doing.

This is more than just diversions for Jimmy, though; Jimmy's past is touched on a few times, especially the loss of his parents and how he ended up in the care of Uncle Ann. Terra's presence as a regular party member gives the reader a chance to get to know her better, and King Iniagus is just as insane as ever.  Mysteries are solved, new mysteries are unearthed, and Jimmy even finds out how to sharpen Glint, giving him a weapon worthy of his skills in the final showdown.

In truth, I hope to return and write one more Sakamota Journals in the future. I really enjoyed writing this series, and would like to cap it off as a trilogy, though Jimmy and Terra's children may see their own adventures with the Elsewhere someday.

One thing I forgot to cover earlier is the nature of One; it wouldn't be an Elsewhere Universe tale if there wasn't a Dreamer in there somewhere, and One is the perfect Dreamer to assist.  However, I knew from the get go I didn't want a fully powered One who could win Jimmy's fights for him, which is where the dolls come in.  One is technically still on his honeymoon, but he decides to help out by possessing a small plush doll in his likeness.  While he still has his Dreamer abilities while in Plush One, he is ultimately a doll, something he forgets at times to his detriment.

Well, that's it for that. Again, if you want an ebook before my next dustoff, searching the name in smashwords should lead you to the right place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment